Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Flannel Friday: Hidden in the green grass

I planned this to go along with a green storytime theme.


Made up this little song / rhyme:

Behind the green grass
You just never know
What you might see
Or what might grow.

The kids and I sang this together, and they guessed what we might find in the grass. You could also name the object (perhaps hiding it in the room) and choose a child to go find it.  I had too many kids to do that successfully, but this was still fun.  I got a few guesses that I didn't have (mouse, rabbit, leaf), but I just suggested a close alternative or looked in my grass and said "Nope! They're not in here!"


In my grass was a ladybug, baseball, snake, caterpillar, ant, butterfly, frog, turtle, bee, flower and rock. There is definitely room for other creatures or items...I think the surprising ones are particularly fun (like the baseball).

Now, I got super lucky on this because a coworker has the little grass arrangement you see in the photo.  I've seen these around, but I've never thought about using it for storytime.  I used bamboo skewers (like for veggie kebabs) and they easily poke through the grass.  If you don't have a coworker with a box of fake grass, you can easily make one with a small box.  Not quite as darling, I agree, but it would still work (if you forgot all about the awesome fake grass!)

4 comments:

  1. We have your grass...in my library...we use it every spring...now - I need to borrow the display for children's...I am going to do this! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... I need to do this because it sounds really fun. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect!! I have a "green" storytime next Wednesday. I'm adding this to my lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Going to pair this with In the Tall, Tall Grass (also a green themed storytime for me) ... look for my post on my blog in a few weeks: http://librarieslearnlead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...